



Date: February 4, 2022  
 Time: 12:00-2:00 pm  
 Location: Zoom  
 Attendees: Finance Committee, Special Public  
 Type of Meeting: General

**I. Organizational Items**

- a. Call to Order by Josue Montenegro, Vice President for Finance, at (12:06pm)
- b. Roll Call (**Quorum Established**)

Josue Montenegro	Vice President for Finance	Present
Alexandra Kurokawa	Vice Chair for Finance	N/A
<del>Diana Chavez</del>	ASI President	
<del>Angelina Gomez</del>	VP for Administration	
<del>Amber Beasley</del>	VP for Academic Governance	
Analiz Marmolejo	VP for External Affairs & Advancement	Excused Absence
Anna Nguyen	Secretary Treasurer	Present
Andrew Klein	BOD Member	Present
	BOD Member	
	BOD Member	
	Student Committee Member	
	Student Committee Member	
	Student Committee Member	
	Student Committee Member	
Daniel Gonzalez	Associate Justice	Present
<del>Betty Kennedy</del>	University President Designee	N/A
John Tcheng	CFO Designee	Excused Absence
Barnaby Peake	Executive Director	Present
Dena Florez	Associate Executive Director	Present
Guest of the Gallery	<i>Amanda Maldonado</i>	Present

**c. Approval of the Agenda for Friday, (February 4, 2022)**

Motioned By:	<b>Anna Nguyen</b>	Seconded by:	<b>Josue Montenegro</b>



Discussion: None						
All in Favor		Opposed		Abstained		<b>Motion: Consensus Passed</b>

**d. Approval of the Minutes for Friday, (December 3, 2021)**

Motioned By:	<b>Anna Nguyen</b>	Seconded by:	<b>Andrew Klein</b>			
Discussion: None						
All in Favor		Opposed		Abstained		<b>Motion: Consensus Passed</b>

**e. Approval of the Funding Committee Report, (December 10, 2021)**

Motioned By:	<b>Andrew Klein</b>	Seconded by:	<b>Anna Nguyen</b>			
Discussion: None						
All in Favor		Opposed		Abstained		<b>Motion: Consensus Passed</b>

- II. **Public Comment** – Public Comment is intended as a time for any member of the public to address the committee on any issues affecting ASI and/or Cal State LA
  - a. Any public comments - None

III. **Information Items**  
 -None -

IV. **Discussion**

**1. University Support Areas: The Committee will discuss the presentations of the University Support Areas**

**Josue:** So basically, they're giving us their report for the fall. So, we'll look over what they did during the fall semester and how they allocated their funds and if they allocated all of them. I can share my screen...



**Dena:** Mr. Chair, I was going to say the Fall 2021 Reports are there for informational purposes only. You all are able to read these reports and this is so that you can get an idea and get briefed on because they're going to come starting the next finance, then they're going to start presenting. These university support areas have submitted their reports, we are sharing them with you, you could read this on your own. Um, the item itself, is about presentations so we've allocated three, we have set aside three Finance meetings to be able to...where did everybody go? ... They will start coming in to present, starting February 18th and then at the next Finance they will do that so its three finance meetings they have an opportunity to come in and present for their 2022-2023 budget. They cannot come to present at finance if they have not turned in their Fall Report, right now we are missing only one so I'm sure we'll get that in shortly. With that said that's basically what's going to happen they are going to come into finance and you'll have an opportunity to ask some questions and as we start building the 2022-2023, just keep in mind that right now because of the pandemic, I'm not quite sure, in the past, what we've been able to do is we've been able to go and visit the areas. However, I don't foresee that happening right now so we'll kind of hold off on that and what I've done is I've given them additional time so that they can present. Okay so I have February 18<sup>th</sup>, March 4<sup>th</sup>, and March 18<sup>th</sup> and they have about a half an hour time slot, starting at 1:00pm because February 18<sup>th</sup> we will be approving the 6&6 Budget. So, I started them at 1:00 and 1:30pm, they each have a half an hour. Moving on from there, are there any questions about the presentations that they will be giving? (Silence/no questions asked)...

Okay, so please take some time and read through the reports to familiarize yourself with what their functions are and maybe have some questions, it's always good to have some questions, okay?

**Josue:** Okay, thank you Dena. So, what Dena said, if you guys have the time, the link will be on there regardless. So, it doesn't have to be today so you could always click those links within the next two, three, or four weeks to see what they're working with and like Dena said, these reports are basically to make them eligible to request funding for the semester, so



that's what this is right here. Alright so if there is no questions, we can move forward with the next line item...

## 2. Update on reaching out to Recognized Club and Orgs

**Dena:** So, on this particular line item, we have, for those of you who do not know, we have a new Associate Director in CSI, Fabi she is fabulous! She's really great we've already met with her Amanda did a really great presentation to her about how our funding process works. I reached out to her about possibly collaborating. She also is the key holder to the clubs and orgs so we've expressed to her the funding that we have and that was also shared with her at the funding presentation that we did for her. So, she will be our key to reaching out to clubs and orgs and we've also had a really good conversation with the college reps yesterday and they're going to be reaching out to the clubs in their particular college and letting them know that ASI has funding. It was a great conversation, they're gonna work together as a whole and reach out to each of their individual colleges as well as the colleges where we are not represented because we have two colleges that have no ASI representation.

**Josue:** Perfect.

**Dena:** Andrew did I miss anything?

**Andrew:** No, because we do need to reach out to those clubs and we do have a couple colleges, and they have no representatives and we went over yesterday's meeting about how um, where we can find the information to send out to these organizations about club funding... we literally like dropped it into the meeting so, no, you covered most of it.

**Josue:** I was going to say on that note, if you guys know anybody who are in clubs and orgs, there's going to be a workshop next week. So, for any of you guys, or any of you who don't know how to request for the funding as well or are an org that wants somebody else to learn how, next week would be the time to do so. Um yeah, I'll give the date too so it's in the



recordings. So, it's going to be on the 11<sup>th</sup>, Friday the 11<sup>th</sup> and I think it's at 1:00pm so we're going to cover any business and sub-funding first and then jump into the presentation afterwards. So, feel free to stop by, I'll throw it in the ASI group meet as well. Dena, there's nothing else on this topic? Line items 2 we can move on to...we're good?

**Dena:** Yeah, we're good.

### **3. Membership Discussion: The Committee will discuss recruitment effort to fill the open vacancies on the Committee.**

**Josue:** We mentioned it earlier, so you would have to apply by today on the ASI website to be on the next BOD for them to be a member. So, it's today already, so by the end of the day, more than likely, by the next finance in two weeks, anybody can apply, so if you guys know anybody that's interested in finance, let them know to apply before either the end of today if they can, or before the 18<sup>th</sup> so they could appear in the following BOD on the 24<sup>th</sup>. So yeah, I would take it upon myself to try to fill in the four seats that she said, that Dena said we have available and you also said college reps or you said BOD members could also have two other spots available. Three other spots? Two other spots yeah, so two other BOD members are allowed to sit on finance um there's a cap on that so if anybody else is interested, definitely let them know to apply, I have one person already interested so there's probably one other seat available for Board of Directors or people from the Board. But if anybody has any ideas or anything to reach out on how to get more members feel free to let me know and anything helps. But if not, um, does anybody have any comments on this topic? I don't think so...

**Andrew:** How many open positions do we have, four?

**Josue:** So, four student at large members so we zero right now and we have two Boards members that could join so I think you're one Andrew so I have another person that's interested and from there we would have one more but as of now, two open positions from BOD and then four student at large so a total of 6. If you know anybody, give them my email



yeah just pass them through and we can get the ball rolling on that so we can have a bigger group of people for the next finance. But if there's no other comments, we can move forward with the most important line item of the day.

#### 4. 6&6 Budget – The Committee will review the draft of the 6&6 Budget

**Josue:** So, this is going to be the review of the 6&6 budget so Dena will cover this and this is going to be basically all the changes that we covered. So, we covered the 3&9 two or three months ago, two and a half months ago so this will be all the changes additional from the 3&9 moving forward halfway through the semester so we are 6 months in and there are 6 months left within the fiscal year so, Dena...

**Dena:** Okay, everybody I'm going to go ahead and share my screen. Okay, with that said, what we're going to do is we're going to go over each of these line items. So, as you can see over in the top line item this is the 6&6 and as Josue mentioned this is 6 months in and 6 months out. Okay technically right now we have not touched our reserves our reserves still remain. However due to the reduction in some of the line items and the revenue available that we've allocated, we're still going to have some monies that we can work with. Looking at the top portion of it you'll see where the revenue was, I'm sorry where we got additional funding and this is due to pandemic. This is basically due to the fact that we are not traveling and other things are not happening we are doing virtual and just moving right along and vacancies the biggest one is vacancies within our organization. So, if you could see personnel expense expenditures, we reduced it and we have about \$7,000 so on and so forth and we'll go down the line item and you'll be able to see all of this. So, in the first line item under revenue everything pretty much stayed the same, I went ahead and I increased, we went ahead and we increased interest, we went ahead and we increased interest because in looking at the LAIF fund, and I was hoping John Tchong would be here, in looking at the LAIF fund we're up at \$2,300 right now in interest so I kicked it up to \$2,500. Lockers um, I was going to go down to \$1,000 as was said, I brought it down to \$1,500 only, either way we're gonna make up the revenue



whether it be interest for the lockers it's going to happen there. Movie tickets sales I did not change anything there. So now you could see the differences in the column there where it says differences okay? Um, any questions on the revenue? Okay so moving right along to *Personnel*. We are not going to be touching salaries, neither staff nor student because right now we've just hired two new student assistants. I know that we will be able to sweep some more savings out of salaries at the 9&3 but right now we're still trying to fill in the vacancies we have a program coordinator hopefully coming in soon but yes so, we're going to leave salaries alone for now and that will also go with benefits. Okay so these salaries and benefits will be something that we will look at, at the 9&3 more carefully. Everything else stayed, let's go down to *Travel*, staff travel to seminars and conferences, as I mentioned earlier, we are not traveling so this represents the savings from myself, Barnaby, Amanda, and Gus. We did bring it down from \$14,000 to \$6,000 remaining is because even though we did not go to the AOA Conference, our registration fee is being held and it will be utilized for the next AOA in January so we're kind of holding on to that and hopefully by the time that conference that Gus usually goes to is available, we would be able to move forward there. Moving right along down you'll see a \$570 change for the employee recruitment our program coordinator and the two student assistants that we bring in will need to be Live Scanned so at \$190 per student, this represents \$570 we've increased it to \$570 which represents \$380 there. Human support, human resources, HR, compliance, and payroll processing, we don't have any changes there so we'll keep that as is. Any questions on personnel?

**Andrew:** Wait what's Live Scan again is that a background check?

**Dena:** It's a background check, yes.

**Andrew:** Oh, okay.

**Dena:** Any of our students, anyone that works with us, student IDs, student information, must have a background check, okay? I got competition





going on here... Moving right along I'm going to Corporate Costs, as you can see there wasn't much change here, the only one change here was in our insurance. We received a reimbursement premium here our original was, I think it was like \$580 and then we received a \$1400 reimbursement... let me move you guys to the top because I can't see this... um... let's see, and that was really the only change here.

**Barnaby:** Hey Dena, or am I the only one who can see, I just see the personnel still? Can you all see it?

**Dena:** Oh wait, wait, wait I have to scroll hold on, hold on. I have to go back, hold on... you know what maybe... hold on let me share my screen here.

**Josue:** Dena do you want me to share my screen?

**Dena:** Yeah, why don't you share your screen.

**Josue:** Can everybody see my screen?

**Dena:** Make it bigger. Okay so let's scroll it down to... we did personnel, right? Corporate cost, the only change there we said we the insurance, everything else will remain. If there are no questions there, let's move on to Student Government. Wait you went up too far. Yeah, so here in student government what we have here is the student government travel. Um, CSSA will now be virtual as will be CHESS so therefore, this was left as a remainder of the monies because this allows for example, do you have any local travel? This just allows for travel mileage and then any other... there's one other event on here... hold on one second, oh yes, when we send the student, no, no... this is fine so this is where it stays at \$1200 so we reduced it, so you have about \$1500 in savings right there.

Okay, moving right along... Student Leadership Developments, we dropped that down to \$11,546 after reviewing the December financials, um I'm sorry, after reviewing financials we noticed that um we got our actual figures for... for example, our inauguration what we spent for the





summer training, and things like that so we brought those down to actual so that represents about \$5500 in savings here. Okay grant and aid this is all your GIA stipends and due to the vacancies, that we've had this year, we have about \$13,000 in savings here. We shouldn't call it savings because ideally, we really want to fill all these positions. Okay, any questions on Student Government?

Okay, so moving right along to *Support for Student Programs and Services*... On this particular line item, what we did is the student textbook voucher; Student Textbook Reimbursement Program. That one is going to stay at \$24,000 at the 3&9 you all voted to increase this amount; so, there was \$12,000 for each semester fall and spring. Just as an FYI notice, I'm understanding that currently right now as of spring we have about \$16,000 in requests for reimbursement. So, the \$12,000 that we had already allocated for Spring is already over, it's over the original amount. *Programming and Advocacy*, the biggest chunk that we had here is the \$17,000 for Alternative Break since we're not going to...due to no travel, we will not be going to the alternative break, I think it was supposed to be Peru or something, but we're just going to go ahead and pull that, take that out of there. As well as there is a Screaming Eagles line item here, and just for this semester we are pulling the screaming Eagles budget and we're going to put it under Marketing because basically our Screaming Eagles, they do do our marketing. So, we're going to take it out of there, we're going to put it in to Marketing and Advertisement, okay? So, moving on down, as you could see the bottom here, you have \$62,959 and as you could see at the bottom, scrolling down \$503,816 was your reserves for the 3&9 \$503,816 remains your reserve for the 6&6. However, with the revenues to expenses you have about \$62,959 this is the conversation that you will have here and discuss how you can best make use of the \$62,959 to help our students on campus, there was a good conversation happening at exec. With that I think there was a suggestion what are the areas that students need? It was textbooks, its um transportation, and it was a hot meals program (basically food necessities). So, this is the charge this committee has how you can best use that, Barnaby also has some great ideas. With that I'm going to turn it



over to Barnaby on the suggestions or ideas that you also have to add to that.

**Barnaby:** Yeah, thank you we've talked a little bit about some options for utilizing some of the funding for things like transportation; helping students with their transportation costs at campus parking, passes on campus, there's a suggestion about hot meals. So basically, we have an opportunity to use these funds to directly impact student's lives on campus, help them be more successful, provide them resources that they need. So we don't have the exact figures yet because we wanted to adjust our options according to what our available budget is. And so for right now we have this operating, we have this chunk of money of \$60,000 plus, that we can now decide how we want to allocate that. There's several options and I think what Dena and I would like to do is ask that we leave it right now, we're not going to act on anything but we'll come up with some proposals for you all to consider about how to allocate those funds. In the meantime, if you all have recommendations, if there's other things you feel students need on campus, if there's resources that's needed for a specific program or a service, we welcome that. We just need the dollars and cents so we can consider that all together as we look at the \$62,000. We are not looking at this time to fund university departments or establish programs that other departments have, there's some tricky requirements with a lot of those. So, we're not looking at bumping up budgets for basic needs there's actually plenty of funding that through HERF and other resources that's come to the campus for some of these. But, if you have something, please reach out to Dena and I and if you have ideas for a specific especially if you have dollar amounts that are associated with it then please let us know so then we can kind of work it in and package it into a proposal here and then onto the Board.

**Josue:** Andrew, you had a comment?

**Andrew:** With that additional amount of funding for the Textbook Scholarship, have we maxed that out or...?



**Josue:** Yeah, so it's the \$12,000 each semester and then we doubled it because it surpassed the \$12,000 and now it's at \$16,000 so its 4k (\$4,000) over what we already intended.

**Andrew:** Okay, just putting it out there maybe we could allocate more money to that out of the \$60,000 or out of the additional money we have right now. Um, I don't know if that's possible but I mean if it's already been shown that this Textbook Scholarship has been really quite popular and every time that we add any amount of money it just maxes out really quickly. So, just putting it out there.

**Josue:** I was going to actually comment on the... let me scroll up so there was a... we actually had a discussion on this in BOD so I'm going to just run through exactly a couple things we talked about like Barnaby we said we're not trying to go for... we're trying to basically help the students as a whole, and that's where we want to allocate the \$62,000 not specific groups, something that everybody could get access to where we could help. There are the couple things they mentioned: they mentioned masks for students and they're talking about those N95 masks, that was one thing. Another thing was the food pantry, on top of the food pantry was hot meals, like Dena said the three essentials were hot meals (food), education (scholarships), textbooks, things like that and the third one was transportation so that's like the U-Pass. The next one, we said something about housing options but that could be expensive, emergency funds but like Barnaby said, that's the HERF, all that stuff that campus is covering. Next up we talked about food, maybe some type of voucher or some type of thing to have students go get free food at a certain location or something like that. We talked about something like parking tickets but I forgot specifically what that one was about.

**Barnaby:** Yeah, it was the parking permit. So, if students, that was one of the concerns that if students had this fall was you're coming to campus maybe one or two days a week but you have to pay for a full parking permit, that doesn't really equate. People were struggling to meet that. So that was an idea so we could reduce the overall cost of the parking permit for any student, that's the plan.



**Josue:** That idea went hand in hand with the UPass so if you guys don't know what the UPass is, it's the Metro card on campus that you get on campus so you get a reduced amount unlimited for the semester bus uses so basically that goes the same with the parking we want to reduce the overall amount for the students as much as we can depending on how much we want to allocate. And then um, the book voucher program so that's a really good one that we thought about just because like you said Andrew, it maxes out very effective ever since we put into play the reimbursement program for it, ever since we did that it's been really effective so, we're like why not discuss maybe throwing more money in there. The next one was free printing so that's another thing we can help the students out like free printing at the library but with some type of system so they know it's coming from ASI and students wouldn't just think it's the library doing it so they know it's coming from us. And yeah, that's basically it, those are the ideas we came up with for those extra allocations for like when Dena mentioned the main three, we want to focus on are transportation, education, and food which are broken down into the UPass, parking pass, the food and hot meals program, and then textbook program. So, this is what we came up with in BOD so I don't know if any of you have any other ideas where we could allocate that money besides what we just mentioned or if there's anything we might have missed or something that could help on campus. Barnaby...

**Barnaby:** One other one that I think we mentioned and that Dena and I were talking about is graduation, either supporting graduation somehow in the sense of diplomas are \$35 is that what you said Dena?

**Josue:** Diplomas?

**Barnaby:** Diplomas, there's a fee for diplomas there's also just discounting by giving students a credit or making the robes cheaper. Again, that's a resource that would help students absolutely with financial costs as they graduate, supporting them in their next step as they launch into real world so that's something we can look at.



**Josue:** Another one I just saw which I think you brought up Barnaby, I wrote down was writing center support, so Bartleby, I don't know if you brought that up writing support center so students have free access to a tutor or just learning how to do... it could be anything but yeah it was writing center support, that's what I wrote on there. So, let me write down...so does anybody have any ideas? The \$62,000 can be very we could do a lot with that so you want to focus on the group we could help the most with the funds instead of just blindly throw it in random places just because we have it. We always say, just because we have it doesn't mean we have to use it so this is why I want to brainstorm for as many ideas. Anybody? Like Andrew, Daniel, I know you were in BOD so if you have any ideas, it does not have to be now you guys could always let us know...Dena?

**Andrew:** With this money we don't have to spend it all on the same thing, right?

**Josue:** Yeah, no we just want to spend it right you know? Make sure we spend it somewhere...

**Dena:** Yes, um to be very honest and um Barnaby please help me here, I really think that we need to focus this and set an amount for the textbook reimbursement because otherwise being at \$16,000 right now, we're going to close it- it closes. And I'm not quite sure what is the extended deadline for this textbook scholarship Amanda?

**Amanda:** The deadline is the 18<sup>th</sup>.

**Dena:** The 18<sup>th</sup> of February. So, if we're already at \$16,000 right now and its only February 4<sup>th</sup>, what are we looking at? It's a *great* program, maybe we need to look and see how we can help more students, I don't know. Like the UPass but students are aware of it, it's great a lot of hiccups and road bumps last semester but Amanda's got it down to a fine tune man, she can go fast on this. So, if we could really decide how much money you're going to put down here. Otherwise, Amanda will need to close this



and we go from there, we'll have to tell \$4,000 worth of students they cannot, that they did not get it this year, this semester.

**Josue:** Um, I was going to say for a refresher, we started off with \$12,000 overall, right? It was \$6,000 per semester and we doubled last semester because it surpassed it and then we took it and doubled it this semester, okay. And real quick Dena would this be a one-time thing because we are over in the reserves so let's say we do increase it, would this...this wouldn't keep on like going on every semester, right? So, it's \$24,000 for the year?

**Dena:** It's at \$24,000 for the year because you used \$12,000 in the fall already, and you have \$12,000 for the spring. So, but right now, you've gone over that \$12,000, we have \$16,000 worth of applicants. Now, keep in mind, as this report becomes popular, I'm sorry as this event becomes popular, it's going to keep growing. So, at some point you're just going to have to say, "You know what, we only have this much and that's it."

**Josue:** That's what I'm saying if we, let's say for some reason we come up with... to double it, for the semester, yeah, I'm just saying like an idea, would that carry on into the fall? Or will that be tentative? Or will we decide, just cause yeah... Andrew?

**Andrew:** Yeah, those textbooks they add up they're like obscenely expensive some of them. Especially if you need to like buy a physical textbook it's like over \$100 for basically all of them.

**Dena:** Oh, try a textbook that can cost up to \$300 if you're in the nursing program.

**Josue:** That's horrible.

**Andrew:** There's a \$300 textbook?

**Dena:** There are book checks, books that run, well what they need for the class I saw that in the nursing program like \$300. The other option is of





course, and I really hate to go backwards but we want to serve more students is if you lower the \$150 because right now, they have a max of \$150 that they can get. If you lower the max then maybe we can serve more students. But I don't know its hit or miss either way. It's a *great* program, we need to elaborate more on and how we can serve more students but I don't think we'll make the deadlines each time.

**Josue:** So, I was going to say, should we decide on an amount for today? Like, how much we should increase it by?

**Dena:** You're not deciding you're reviewing but just marinate on it. And at the next finance meeting, because this going to go to BOD also uh, next BOD. It'll be up for discussion and then next finance you'll be approving this so by then that's when you're going to have your debate on who gets what and how much.

**Josue:** Okay, I was going to say... go ahead Andrew.

**Andrew:** So, concerning the textbook rental um, how long has it been going on? Is this like the second year, the first year, or not textbook rental but the textbook reimbursement program, how long has that been going on?

**Dena:** This is the first year, actually, this was formerly the voucher, Textbook Voucher Program, where students could apply and about 20-25 students each time could apply for up to \$300 to be used for the textbooks and it was prior to purchasing so that if they qualified based on the criteria, they could get a \$300 credit when they go to the bookstore to go buy their books that \$300 credit is applied. However, when Barnaby came in, he suggested this great idea and it's worked because its helping to serve more students and it took off really big in the fall so fall '21 was the first time we did it. And its gunna grow, I guarantee you it's probably going to get right up there with clubs and orgs.

**Josue:** I was going to say the reason we switched it was because before, you know how Dena you mentioned they get like a \$300 stipend? A lot of





students wouldn't fully utilize the \$300 so all that money left over would go to another student that needed it, it would just kind of sit there and just kind of go to waste and it would just roll over at the end so that's where Barnaby brought up the idea that we should do it on a reimbursement, so its like you spend the money, you get the money back instead of just having money in and not using it because yeah and then literally it just took off. So, um... I was going to say like obviously we're \$4,000 over already so we would definitely need to like minimum allocate \$4,000 already just to fulfill what's already been um, in. But the actual amount we want to increase it by like you said we can just talk about it in BOD or yeah... I don't know how much would be too to put into this program since we already doubled it, I don't know like, yeah... its at 12 for this semester, yeah. Does anyone have any ideas on how much more they would think, just a discussion...No? Okay, Barnaby?

**Barnaby:** Go ahead Andrew.

**Andrew:** Um, I think that I think you might've brought it up about the \$100-reducing the maximum to support more students. That might be a pretty smart idea for like next time, next semester. Or next year, because this thing consistently maxes out probably within at least a week before the deadline for the most part. So, if we can reduce it and help out more students because it's always like that unmet demand when it comes to this thing. There might be a merit of consideration?

**Josue:** Yeah, I think that's a great idea too, it would let more students know about ASI as well letting them know that we are helping with the Textbook Program.

**Andrew:** Yeah, that's pretty direct too like a direct way of help instead of just like, "We're there to support you" and then they never see it, like it's not behind the scenes its directly to you so there's that.

**Josue:** Yeah, that's a good idea. Um Barnaby, you had a comment?



**Barnaby:** The deadline for the application was the 18<sup>th</sup> Amanda, was that right?

**Amanda:** Yes, so two more weeks.

**Barnaby:** So, that's your next finance meeting. Basically, the next time we meet, we will know exactly how much has been requested through the Textbook Program because that will be the last weeks of requests so, I think that will help form our conversation a little bit more. There might be, based on how things are progressing this semester there might be additional funds that we could use towards the Textbook Program consider how big of a priority this is something that you... we can consider um you know how big of a priority this is especially in the pandemic situation, we can't do a lot of our big programs, we're not doing travelling, so allocating what we can to students to help them, if this is a critical need and resource. Then, you know at least this year it goes back to your point Josue. We're not going to be able to do this every year, we can't drop hundreds of thousands of dollars into textbooks um, and still support student programs and other things on campus when we're back in person. Right now, this is a really viable way that we can support um students financially and with their academic coursework. So, um, I would say, I would make a recommendation that we're not going to push this through and make a decision, applications we can keep open, on the 18<sup>th</sup>, we'll know exactly what we're dealing with then at that time we can make a decision about how much you want to allocate.

**Josue:** Yeah, we could definitely make a better decision. One question, I do have though is, should we put a certain cap just in case? As in like let's say for some reason from 16 to 18<sup>th</sup> like on Tuesday, we notice it goes to like 20 or 23, should there be an amount where we should be like let's stop it or do, we just let it keep going until the 18<sup>th</sup> and potentially let it reach whatever it reaches?

**Barnaby:** Uh, I think we're clear in the application process that there's a fixed amount that's for the programs so basically, it's first come first serve. So even if we keep the applications open, we already have, we're



already over the budget that fixed budget right now so we can continue to accept applications but...

**Josue:** We just choose when to cut it off.

**Barnaby:** Yeah, we're just going to choose when to cut it off but um yeah, I think that's... I think we can just keep it going honestly, and then there's no... just because you submit a request doesn't mean you're going to get funded.

**Josue:** And it'll give us a real idea of like how much is actually, students are asking for in that duration of time so, that's yeah, cool. Alright, so we can just give it a little bit more time so we can make a better decision on this then yeah. It's only a discussion, so we can move it into an action or something like in the next finance. Alright does anybody have any other comments, questions on this topic so basically um... seeing will allocation go to that. Dena?

**Dena:** So, at the next finance meeting when you all meet you all have all the information, you all have the things to do your homework. Look and see what it is and when we go to approve that's where we're going to start with the amendments. You know, you're going to prove to... approve the 6&6 and then somebody's going to make an amendment of that \$62,000 where you want it to go and whatever not. Keep in mind this \$62,000 is not taking anything away from reserves. Reserves have maintained so I don't want to add \$62,000 to reserves I want to use the \$62,000 somewhere else. The other thing that'll happen at the 9&3 also keep in mind administration this is when we state, we save our asks for the 9&3 so we as your administration we are going to come in with asks at the 9&3 related to the office, related to our storage, we're gonna assess our technology needs even though we did get a lot of new technology yes, but those are all the areas that we keep looking at. One line item I'd like to put on your radar is the clubs and orgs. Clubs and orgs had \$120,000 for the year, and this kind of speaks to what Barnaby says, we're looking at other line items where you can pull clubs and orgs are in the same situation and ASI is very limited in what they could do, what they can



fundraise, and things like that so as of the fall semester, sorry Amanda correct me if I'm wrong I think we only used \$5,000 of clubs and orgs which means that we're walking in with about \$115,000 into the spring semester. Normally in the past what we do is any funds that are left over on this line item *Clubs and Orgs*, we divided out over the clubs that attended the spring workshop, and that's their seed money for the following year. Seed money is not a guarantee, but it's us saying, "Okay, you've supported, you've done your due diligence, we're going to help you start up your, um we're going to help you start up." That only as we said, serves one group of people. So, another thing to look at is if let's see, we've had two funding meetings, we're going to have our second funding meeting next Friday we have not received any requests for funding so that's already two of the eight funding meetings are out the door, if a lot of money sitting in that account. Okay, just a thought.

**Josue:** Okay, thank you Dena. And if there are no other comments um, I guess we can move forward. Um, feel free to let me know, email me or if you have any ideas on any of the topics we discussed today in discussion. Um, but if there are no other comments we can move forward with the agenda. Alright cool so we have nothing going forward there's nothing in actions items. We can go straight into reports.

## V. Action Items

-None -

### A. Reports

- a. ASI Vice President for Finance: **Josue Montenegro- So I already established my, the important 1-on-1s I need so that's what I'm on right now. The 6&6 will be reviewed in BOD next week and then it'll come back in finance for final approval so that's what we're working on right now. There's also going to be that Funding Workshop that I mentioned next Friday which is the 11<sup>th</sup>. Let me double check for you guys... yeah, the 11<sup>th</sup> so next Friday on the 11<sup>th</sup> is going to be the funding for clubs and orgs and workshop to**



see how to get that ASI finding. So that's what I'm going to be working on as well and my last comment would be the elections are coming up so if you know anybody who wants to join ASI or join the finance committee, you know, anything like that feel free to let them know, pass them my way if you have questions and yeah that's basically it. Thank you everybody for the first finance and I'll pass this on next to Barnaby the ASI Executive Director.

- b. ASI Vice Chair for Finance: **Alexandra Kurokawa – N/A**
- c. ASI Executive Director – Barnaby Peake – I just wanted to thank Dena again, I put it in the chat but thank you Dena for putting all the time and effort into the 6&6. There's a lot of calculations we gotta balance out, it's a big spreadsheet so and realizing that we have that kind of money to reallocate at this point in the year is really helpful because then we can find other priorities and we're not sitting there at the end of the year with this huge pot of money that wasn't used so thank you for doing that. Um, I can't think of anything else uh to report on right now. Dena is there anything else that we need to capture? So, thank you all.

**B. Adjournment**

Motion to Adjourn (12:58pm):

Motioned By:	<b>Andrew Klein</b>	Seconded by:	<b>Josue Montenegro</b>			
Discussion: None						
All in Favor		Opposed		Abstained		<b>Motion: Consensus Passed</b>



---

**CERTIFICATION**

---

Official Minutes taken for the **Finance Committee** of the Associated Students, Inc. Cal State LA held on Friday, February 4, 2022, through Zoom. Consensus by the ASI Finance Committee on Friday, March 18, 2022.

Prepared by:

\_\_\_\_\_  
**Alexandra Kurokawa, Vice Chair for the Finance Committee**

\_\_\_\_\_  
**Brian Nguyen, Secretary/Treasurer**