



Legislative Affairs & Advocacy Meeting Minutes

Date: August 27, 2025
Location: Alhambra Room, U-SU Room 305
Type of Meeting: Special

Time: 9:45-10:45 AM
Attendees: Committee Members, General Public

I. Organizational Items:

A. Land Acknowledgment: With Great respect, Cal State LA acknowledges the Tongva people as the traditional caretaker of Tovaangar (TOE-van-gar) - the Tongva world, including the Los Angeles Basin, South Channel Islands, San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys, and portions of Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties. Cal State LA is located within these lands. As an institution located on unceded Tongva land, we pay our respects to the ancestors, elders, and our relatives/relations, past, present, and Emerging. Consistent with our values of community and diversity, we have a responsibility to acknowledge and make visible the university's relationship to Native peoples. By offering this land Acknowledgment, we affirm Indigenous sovereignty and will work to hold Cal State LA more accountable to the needs of American Indian Peoples.

B. Call to order by: Aisha Gama, Vice President for External Affairs @ 9:48 AM

C. Roll Call

Aisha Gama	Vice President for External Affairs	Present
Arwa Hammad	ASI President	Present
Jeffry Umaña Muñoz	Vice President for University Affairs	Excused Tardy @ 10:08 AM
Gennesis Nuyen	Civic Engagement Officer	Present
Yarmil Abrego	Diversity and Inclusion Officer	Present
Sophia Gamino	College of Business & Economics Rep.	Present
Barnaby Peake	ASI Executive Director	Present
River Foskey	Program Coordinator	Present
Guests of the Gallery		

D. Adoption of the Agenda

Offered By:	Gennesis Nuyen	Seconded by:	Yarmil Abrego			
Motion to approve the agenda for Wednesday, August 27, 2025						
Consensus reached						
All in Favor	All	Opposed	0	Abstained	0	Motion: Passed

II. Public Comment: We will now move on to Public Comment. This time is allotted for the public to bring up comments or concerns of interest to the committee. Please be advised that due to a set agenda, the board will not address the items brought up at this time but will note them down for the Executive Committee's review and action. If members of the public would like to be followed up with directly, please provide your contact information through the QR code on the door or through the form provided on the ASI website meeting agenda. We will now call on members of the public in order of registration before moving on to the public.

III. Informational Items

IV. Action Items

V. Discussion Items

A. [Policy Review 014](#) - Legislative Affairs and Advocacy Code of Procedure

Barnaby: Went through the standing committee codes for the purpose and function of how the committee functions. Policy 014 is the committee code for legislative affairs, which overlaps in language use from the bylaws. This expands on the purpose of legislative affairs as a group to research, monitor, interpret, and evaluate federal and state legislation and policies that affect higher education at CSUs and our students. Also, report on student needs and concerns. We coordinate with CSSA through the Chair VP of External Affairs position. Through surveys and data analysis, this committee makes recommendations to the rest of ASI and the Board about how to take action. The goal for Legislative Affairs is to establish a long-term advocacy agenda by the end of the year. Topics mentioned at retreat: a) parking, b) immigration, c) cost of attendance. Discussed about natural partners that also do advocacy and civic engagement work, e.g., Pat Brown Institute (PBI).

Aisha: Asked question: When and how can we get surveys started?

Barnaby: Answered: I already have one started and am building on it using Microsoft Forms. I will bring it back for the next legislative affairs meeting as a draft and add it to the agenda.

Barnaby: Comments: I will work with Aisha and the executives on the draft first, then get it to the committee.

Barnaby: Article 02 - Membership and duty, mentioning we have 3 at-large student positions available to be a part of the voting membership of the committee.

Genesis: Suggested an Instagram story post advertising looking for students interested in the at-large positions, like an interest box requiring email and name. We will, in turn, reach back to them with more information.

Barnaby: Mentions he will reach out to Gus for an Instagram advertisement for all committees having the same positions available. Have interested students fill out the committee application to get an initial, then email. Quorum review and mentions the positions of Vice Chair for Legislative Affairs. This position is to support Committee Chair Aisha, helping with minutes and roll. Appointment for Vice Chair for the next Legislative Affairs meeting as an action item, as just mentioned today. Overview of the removal section of appointed members: 3 students at-large, reasons being no-shows and skipping meetings. Discussed meeting schedule and processes to initiate them, and the amendment procedure, concluding legislative affairs orientation.

Barnaby: Suggestion from the Executive meeting is that this committee should begin looking into parking and immigration, who we should contact, and start a conversation to begin recommendations at board.

Yarmil: Asked a question - Last year, I believe Arwa was working on a food insecurity initiative?

Arwa: Answered question - This year it is, last year was parking tax advocacy.

Yarmil: Food insecurity would be a good issue to tackle.

Aisha: Brought up limited dining options at the resident hall at later hours, as mentioned by an ASI member.

Genesis: Reach out to other CSUs and CSSA members who aren't having parking issues and why they aren't having them.

Arwa: Mentions there are a lot of approaches to parking initiatives, Jeff is a great partner, he is linked to UCLA. All schools in Los Angeles County restrictions have the same issue, e.g., Dominguez Hills.

B. Student Interest Survey - Committee will Discuss the Student Interest Survey

Aisha: Acknowledged question 7: What are the biggest challenges and barriers to your success as a student here at Cal State LA? Noted answers: balancing school and work, cost of attending, and managing well-being. We can advocate for mental health and have a fun event for student distress. The Boba event had a great turnout. Asked for suggestions on balancing work and school.

Arwa: Mentions- there is a repeat in answer through surveys, in past brainstorming, have scheduled events at later times to increase participation after class and work time.

Genesis: Mentioned- Suggestion from retreat having two shifts for these events, day and evening, for students with work, school, etc. Possibly creating a resource fair for nontraditional students and tailored to our community.

Yarmil: Asked a question - Are there any areas we could have a rest space for students with gaps between classes and commuters?

Aisha: Comments - As a commuter and having gaps too, I take naps in my car. Sleeping areas would be great.

Genesis: Comments - There are sleeping pods, and we should educate ourselves on resources available. We should evaluate these resources and usage for better efficiency. Looking at resources and development, keep in mind location and hours to better accommodate students. Advertise on social media to better inform students.

Aisha: Suggestion, we can do corny funny videos to grab students' attention.

Barnaby: Comments- Silvia, a previous marketing student, had a template for social media started about student resources available that we can build on. Emphasize the barrier of balancing schoolwork and personal life in this fall survey. Where is the issue in this? Can advocate for more on-campus jobs since distance could be an issue, or downtimes between classes, we don't know. Mentioning university student jobs should be the last thing cut.

Arwa: Mentions that the position of Diversity and Inclusion Officer, Yarmil, would be the best one to go around to these resources and advocate for students.

River: Comments - we should explore what other programs are doing, like CSI, providing tips on burnout and time management. We have our own student leadership conference as well.

Aisha: Asked a question - When will this conference be?

River: answered question - November 11th, let me double check

Genesis: comments - Educate ourselves by asking for the department's presentation.

Jeffry: Comments - DCR Dreamer Resource Center and SURGE are willing to present and provide information. It would be great to start with established centers on campus, like the Pan-African Resource Center, the Black Student Union, and the Asian Pacific Islander Resource Center, to schedule special presentations for the Board of Directors meeting. This would be beneficial for student insight into concerns/needs.

Genesis: Suggests inviting at least one member from each of these resources to sit in on Board meetings or Legislative Affairs. Encourage them to join as at-large student members of the committee.

Jeffry: Agrees with Genesis it's a great opportunity to hear from multiple communities of students. It is important to bring attention to students' diverse needs.

Aisha: Agrees to this idea and will reach out to these resource centers to have them sit in a committee meeting to hear from them and encourage the at-large student member positions.

Aisha: Acknowledged question 8: What services and improvements would you like to see at Cal State LA? Brings attention to scholarships, financial support, campus job opportunities, and dining options.

Jeffry: Comments - With the dining issue, we need to work with UAS and U-SU.

Barnaby: Comments - there is a new executive director for UAS, Tim and has not had the chance to meet him, but should be meeting him next week. Suggested to survey a new place, better options, or others. There is a lot of support to open something new downstairs (USU).

Genesis: Asked a question - Is it possible for other places for dining to open besides USU and the Food court?

Barnaby: Answers question - Some food options are closed like Café 47.

Genesis: Mentions - The café in Salazar closed too.

Barnaby: Suggests bringing Tim to talk about this and what's going on with dining.

Jeffry: Comments - Leaning toward more scholarship and financial support would be important. As well as campus job opportunities, thinking about graduate students needing TA jobs. Also, support a bill that would allow undocumented students to work on campus and at community colleges. Through CSSA, we could advocate and sponsor, possibly. In the meantime, it would be great to speak with Provost Lattimer and other admins to advocate for more student research positions and job opportunities. Could bring up the lack of graduate student job opportunities with the graduate senators in the Graduate Studies Faculty Senate. Suggests beginning to work with University Advancements for potential fundraising, capital campaign, and alumni scholarship.

Arwa: Emailed Tim later today to come to a BOD meeting. Currently working with his assistant on when during Sep 4 - Oct 2. Also, President Eanes will join us on Oct 2.

Barnaby: Comments - Work study gets factored into financial aid but is a federally funded program. Most departments pay student staff out of their budget. If more students take advantage of work study, federal dollars will pay for the work. Rather than our budget saving lots of money and creating more job opportunities. USU, as an example, would benefit 100 employees. Threats at the federal level against work study programs, but through CSSA, we could advocate. Look into more on this situation; it is critical for our students.

Genesis: Asked a question - Is there a limited number of hours for work study?

Barnaby: Answered question - Yes, CSU policy says you can only work 20 hours a week.

Sophia: Asked a question: When will we have another one of these surveys?

Barnaby: Answered question - As soon as I can get it a draft, hopefully within this month. So, it's ready to go and to get feedback when we go out on the walkway.

Sophia: Suggests- I think it's best to give it out at the beginning of the year.

Genesis: Comments - Topic mentioned in past CEO meeting is to have a survey for an open forum to accommodate those who can't be present. Every meeting or any open forum requested at a meeting is discussed for the next BOD meeting. Mentions talking with River to revamp the comment box and advertise that instead of making something new.

Aisha: Suggests- We should have check-ins throughout the year to track progress. Asks: Where is that comment box located?

River: Comments - It is on the ASI website.

Barnaby: Comments - It is a form and survey with a QR code if they are on the board to be a speaker, if there's a public comment, and for contact afterward. It's important to promote this.

Aisha: Comments - I want to get on social media more to get some faces to the Legislative committee.

Sophia: Asked a question - Are those signs on the walkway on the ASI signs, that QR is the Talk to us link?

Barnaby: Scan it, let me know.

Genesis: Comments - We need Gus at our meetings. He has already been promoting.

Barnaby: Comments - Yes, should invite Gus. Work with his marketing schedule. He'll be a great partner for advocacy work.

Genesis: Asked a question- Can we reach out and actually implement these actions?

Aisha: Comments - I will email Gus and CC you (Genesis).

Barnaby: Comments - We can bring him into the Board or other Committees to present. Deigo sits on CEO or another student staff at a scheduled time for pay. Gus can come any time as staff. Daniella is a good person to get ideas to so reach out to Gus.

Genesis: Comments - Question 10 I'm noticing a lot of students are coming from more than 10 miles to campus. Let's look into that, but we can leave it for next week.

Aisha: Comments - We can tie that topic to the parking issue. Wrapping up the Survey.

C. Advocacy Agenda - Review and Brainstorm

Aisha: Asks a question - I'd like to ask Arwa for insight and advice on how to develop an advocacy agenda.

Arwa: Answers question - The advocacy agenda is a dynamic document; the best way to go about it is to use the old one and add to it. It's our plan for this committee and our top priorities. Such mentioned are parking, food initiatives, talking about those, and how we'll do it. I recommend being organized and subscribing to EdSource to stay on top of things for higher education. Aisha will be a great source from CSSA, bringing that info back to ASI and their priorities there. I collaborated with the Pat Brown Institute a lot. Finally, the advocacy plan page 6 and beyond. I would've liked CSSA to bring executives here to share systemwide advocacy, especially under this administration. Also, bring more into ASI, like the 3 student reps. A few things we wanted to work on are supporting undocumented students, basic needs, and partnerships we can have. Page 10 is important to keep in mind to follow through. Stay on top of ideas and use smart goals; document everything.

Aisha: Mentions - I would like to continue working a lot with PBI.

Genesis: Comments - Reached out to PBI for introduction and working on Voter Registration Day. Also, might collab with the career center and PBI, but doesn't have details just yet. Inviting Aisha to join if she wanted to.

Aisha: Answers - Yes, loved to.

Jeffry: Comments - Thought the advocacy agenda was great and thinking of major issues to prioritize like parking, immigration, and college affordability. These are the three main issues I'm seeing, and I want to expand the capacity of the committee. Bring more students at large. Working with more departments, like PBI, social sciences, and public policy, to establish an ASI internship.

Barnaby: Suggests - Host a town hall to cast a wide net. Potentially do roundtables and conversations, organize something to hear from students, and think of ideas to attract them.

Jeffry: Answers - Thinks it's a great idea for a town hall.

Genesis: Asked question - To add more at-large reps, would bylaws need to be amended?

Baraby: Answers - Yes, but we can add more to join in on the conversation. When expanding members and no-shows happen, the quorum can't happen. It will become an informal meeting. Best to keep the voters' membership small.

Jeffry: Comments - It would be great to fill those 3 at large seats and see if an ASI internship could happen as a standing guest.

Gennesis: Comment - Discuss prioritizing graduate students over undergraduate students. It's unfair to prioritize undergrad and grad to have leftovers they need to graduate.

Aisha: Asked a question - Who's a good contact?

Barnaby: Answers - It's best to get data and info, then present.

Jeffry: Comments - The graduate senators want to have a graduate student conversation. Let's connect.

Offered By:	Gennesis Nuyens	Seconded by:	Jeffry Umaña Muñoz			
Motion to extend the meeting by 5 mins @ 10:51 AM. Consensus reached.						
All in Favor	All	Opposed	0	Abstained	0	Motion: Passed

VI. Reports

VII. Adjournment

Offered By:	Gennesis Nuyens	Seconded by:	Jeffry Umaña Muñoz			
Motion to adjourn the meeting @ 10:51 AM. Consensus reached.						
All in Favor	All	Opposed	0	Abstained	0	Motion: Passed

CERTIFICATION

Official Minutes taken for the Legislative Affairs and Advocacy Meeting of the Associated Students, Inc., Cal State Los Angeles held on August 27, 2025 at U-SU Alhambra Room, 305 and were approved by consensus by the Legislative Affairs and Advocacy Meeting on Wednesday, September 10, 2025.

Prepared by:

Aisha Gama - Recording Secretary

Gabriel De La Rosa - Chief of Staff