APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
FOR THE 2017 GENERAL ELECTION
Check out general information below regarding upcomng debates, voting, and eligibility.
What is a debate?
A debate is the formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward. Every candidate, expected to run, must participate in 1 of 3 debates
- Tuesday, April 4 - 1 pm College Reps
- Wednesday, April 12 - 12:30 pm Senators & Reps at Large
- Tuesday, April 18 - 5 pm. Executive Oficers Debate
When can students vote?
Starting Monday, April 24, 2017, 8am until Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 7pm
When will be the results announced?
Thursday, April 27, 4pm, U-SU Plaza
Where should I go, if I have more questions?
Contact the Election Commissioner, Elizabeth at or stop by A.S.I. USU Rm 203. You can also visit the A.S.I. Election site at www.ASICalStateLA.org/elections
Each applicant will be notified if they have met eligibility requirements, as determined by the Vice President of Student Affairs Office. There are a number of eligibility criteria such as grade point average (GPA), residency units, and "good standing" status that are evaluated by the Vice President of Student Affairs Office to determine if Cal State L.A. students may run for student government positions. Eligibility may be difficult for a student to assess for themselves with certainty.
General Applicant/Candidate Requirements:
- Are you considered in GOOD STANDING with the University? (You must not be on academic, disciplinary or administrative probation.)
- Have you been enrolled at Cal State L.A. for one (1) semester prior to application?
- Do you have a minimum 2.2 cumulative GPA during the last 12 months?
- Are you available for scheduled meetings?
- Do you agree to serve a minimum of two (2) hours per week physically in the A.S.I. Office? (Note: Board of Director applicants agree to be available for a minimum number of service hours per week in addition to office hours as outlined in the Board of Directors Code of Procedure)
- If you are a Board of Director College Representative applicant, have you declared a major for the College position you are applying for and enrolled in at least one (1) course within the College? (Note: If you are a Charter College of Education Representative, have you declared a major in that College?
(Note: Board of Director applicants agree to be available for a minimum number of service hours per week in addition to office hours as outlined in the Board of Directors Code of Procedure)
- Have you earned at least nine (9) semester units of academic credit per semester at Cal State L.A. during the past 12 months prior to application (not including remedial courses)?
- Will you be enrolled in at least nine (9) semester units of academic credit during the semester the appointment/election occurs?
- Are you aware that you must be enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) units per semester while in office?
- Are you aware that you must maintain a 2.0 GPA each semester while in office?
- Have you earned less than 225-quarter/150-semester units?
- If your BA/BS was received from Cal State L.A within the past 3 years, have you earned a total of eighteen (12) units during your last year as an undergraduate?
- Have you earned at least six (6) units per period of continuous attendance?
- Will you be enrolled in at least six (6) semester units during the term the appointment/election occurs?
- Are you aware that you must maintain a minimum load of six (6) units per semester?
- Have you earned less than 75-quarter/60-semester units?