Regularly Meets On:
Meeting Time/day: Annually, March and October
Chair: Brad Haydel
Recording Secretary: N/A
Executive Secretary: N/A
The purpose of the Campus Sustainability Committee (CSC) is to establish collaboration among faculty, students, and staff that facilitates the adoption of best practices, policies, projects and technologies to improve the future environmental, social, and economic sustainability of the campus community.
The CSC will:
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the President and is charged with educating and engaging campus stakeholders and external partners on sustainability issues through research, projects, workshops, and other events.
Participate in the development of campus policies and procedures to:
- Promote and support a culture of sustainability.
- Enhance the sustainability literacy of students, faculty, and staff.
- Review research of past and current sustainability initiatives in higher education.
- Coordinate and implement plans, projects, programs, policies and procedures to make campus operations more sustainable.
- Review new and existing campus sustainability goals and program metrics.
- Assess, monitor, and update sustainability practices and procedures
- Recommend new or enhanced sustainability strategies to campus divisions for consideration.
- Partner and collaborate with campus entities and the community.
- Advise the Office of the President and other campus decision makers.
- Disseminate information about campus sustainability efforts throughout the campus, community, and beyond.
- Review and recommend sustainability policies and procedures in such areas as waste and recycling, academics, transportation, green building, food systems, water, climate and energy, landscape and ecosystem management, community, and social equity.
- Assist the integration of sustainability into key planning documents, standard operating policies, procedures, and forms.
Facilitate communication of initiatives, strategic plans, assessments, and updates on campus sustainability efforts, both internally and externally, with triennial updates to two sustainability reports:
- Cal State LA's Climate Action Plan, including Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventory and Campus-Community Resilience Assessment.
- AASHE's Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS).
Campus Sustainability Committee Expectations:
- Policy: In order to comply with all CSU and State of California sustainability laws, regulations and policies, the Campus Sustainability Committee (CSC) will be advisory to the President in the formulation of policies that ensure the sustainability of campus environment, financial resources and community.
- Meetings: The CSC will meet once per semester, during the months of March and October, to review requests and recommend action to the President. Subcommittees will meet either monthly or as necessary.